Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Road Trip! (Week 2)

          Anyway, Sunday we head east to Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park. It was green and lovely as I remember. An oasis in an otherwise dry part of the country. Civilization ends, we go there. :P As soon as we get there we take a hike up Vernal Falls, 3 miles round trip, 1000ft gain and rated as "strenuous". I was so out of shape for that hike, my legs hurt for days. 1.5 miles up 1000 ft doesn't sound so bad until you've walked five minutes up a steep grade and realize you've still got a long way to go. The first half was challenging enough for me. It was paved and wide and only went to the bridge. The second was pure evil, it was called the Mist Trail because of the mist coming from the falls at one part. Many places the black-top was simply not present, you were walking up dirt and rock. At a couple stretches in the last quarter of the hike you're climbing steep steps cut into the stone. At the top I call it quits and decide to take a break, already deciding the climb was not worth it. David goes on with Dad to Nevada Falls, another 1000 ft and 1.2 miles up the trail.
          When we make it back down, we settle into our tent cabin in Curry Village and go to dinner. During the night, a bear apparently wanders into the Village. I never hear it but the ruckus the park service employees (I'm assuming) woke me up. A woman was yelling "BEAR! BEAR! BEAR!" A gun (probably blank) was shot off, that or fireworks. I honestly think I was as scared as the bear. I kept praying, "no bear, not here, no bear" or something like that. It took me probably twenty minutes just to calm down, I was so terrified. My parents and David hardly noticed, they might have heard the shots and then gone back to sleep. I don't appreciate being such a light sleep in these situations. No wonder I'm a nervous wreck. :O
          Next day we float the Merced River (part of the reason I want to name a future daughter Mercedes) but it was so cold. They had opened it up just a few days before we came. I think Dad said that if the sum of the water and air temperatures is at or below 100 degrees Fahrenheit then people aren't allowed to raft it. I blame the heavy winter snows. They made it way too cold, and high. I was eaten alive by mosquitoes when we tried to take a break on the shore. Those suckers bite hard. I still have red marks but at least I knew not to scratch them and they stopped itching after five minutes of being left alone.
          That night I sleep a bit better but those beds were too firm and hips did not appreciate, though Mom liked them. Tuesday we decide not to take a small hike or ride but leave straight away on home. Rising out of the valley into the mountains was beautiful; cool, clean, high air, rolling granite with evergreen and slightly marshy meadows so inviting, not a cloud in the sky. Beyond the rain shadow, the landscape is much bleaker. Dry, crumbling mountains. Descending into the valley below, the heat is stifling. Only an open 450 degree oven has felt hotter to me. Yet, life still thrives. Some water makes into parts of the valley. Outside Bishop, grass and smooth-barked trees with silver-backed leaves around the river and hosting roaming cows in places.
          We stop in Barstow, stuck there and not farther down road by a reservation. We make the most of it by dipping in the pool and seeing Despicable Me (Tuesday discount FTW!). The first little minion that appeared reminded me of Matt for some reason, not a bad one to be sure. Gru, the main character, seemed like a surly version Cris, who I know would never so miserable. That was strange. Lol. Next day we endure a 12 hour drive to Albuquerque. This time Arizona was much more pleasant. It was probably the rain (which had sadly caused flooding for them the preceding weekend), the greener landscapes and Williams. Williams as a town near the Grand Canyon. We took train ride to the Canyon. A couple of cowboys pretended to rob the train except they gave us all cola instead of taking anything. We ate at the best Mexican restaurant you'll ever visit. Three times, we've been; three times we've walked away calling it the best. It's the best. I can't remember the name though. :( It's near the train tracks if you're ever in the area.
          Hopped up on a red bull cola, I take the wheel for five hours, getting us to Grants. My dad drove the remaining 65 miles after that. Thursday I hang out with Laura. I sit on a literature class in which they were discussing a very deep book about sexual oppression and obsession. I think. The conversation was a bit awkward to listen to and I tried to focus on reading new articles on NPR's website instead. We hang out at the hotel for an hour after that before visiting Laura's place. We meet her cat (sweet and shaved to look like a lion with boots and tail with fire at the end), her dogs, and her brother Ken. We have dinner at a New Mexican restaurant. It was good but after all those chips the portions were HUGE. Actually, even without the chips there was too much. Laura, my parents and I joined her for an evening concert and David hung out with Ken for the rest of the evening. They seemed to hit it off pretty well after about 12 years of not really keeping in touch. The concert was pleasant. It was held in a church. Rich woods made up the wall behind the pulpit, the rest of the church was a simple white with columns, tall windows in the lower part and at the higher part of the walls were stained glass windows. The ceiling was the point of interest for me, though. I'm not sure if it was painted illusion or it really had sky-blue velvet. The 8-pointed star lamps were really cool.
          Friday we book it back to Texas. We can finally relax. Saturday, one of my mom's sisters came (her half sister Alma) flew in. Sunday, my mom, Alma, (her full sister) Silvia and mother (Melida, David and I call her Abuelita) fly out to Utah to visit Abuelita's ailing sister. There's some...colorful family history there but I'll spare you.
          So now Dave and I are hanging out at the house, going from relaxed to a bit stagnant. Inception was good at least. There's only so much the internet (including WoW) and TV can do in terms of entertainment. Not much else to do since it's expensive to do much of anything (don't talk to me about parking at Six Flags). We made a nice dinner tonight: David did steamed chicken with herb mixed we found in the pantry, potatoes au gratin on the stove, and shredded zucchini squash. We even baked a butter yellow cake, frosted with butter-cream frosting and liberally colored with festive sprinkles (the tiny little round ones that come in blue, red, white, green, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment