Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What am I motivated by?

          When I think of "not for men" part of Colossians 3:23, I can't help but feel "men" includes our own selves. Is what I do done for my own comfort? Convenience? Safety? Pride? Reputation? It seems to me that anything done for any other reason than for God and His kingdom is done for ourselves. All sin, then, is a form of self-idolatry (Colossians 3:5). By choosing to act in a way contrary to His will, I'm saying I know better and that I should be God. I'm telling Him that He's not enough for me and I don't trust Him. How much would it hurt if someone I loved expressed that to me? That a gift or plans I prepared for them were so brashly rejected?
          So what am I motivated by? What do I want to be motivated by? The Bible tells us "the greatest...is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13). When I consider the whole chapter, I realize that love for God and love for people should be what motivates me (Colossians 3:14-15). It motivates me to work hard, be patient, bear anything, continue when it seems hopeless, to forgive and trust even when hurt. Perfect, complete love casts out fear (1 John 4:17-19). There's no room for hate or struggling for my "due" (Philippians 2:5-6). Then I find myself doing "brave" and "kind" things, though at the time they seem "stupid" or "weak", it'll be worth it in the end (Galatians 6:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment